Monday, June 3, 2013

A good week with Duke

Things have gotten so much easier now that I have figured out how to handle Duke's issues with cars while we walk. It can still be frustrating when a car sneaks up on us or several cars come by at one time but all in all things are better.
For the past week or so I have taken Duke for a walk in the evening. We actually go around the block which takes us through a somewhat busy intersection. I think the extra walk does him good. It does make him more reluctant to go in the back yard though. I have to almost force him out there.
Saturday was the Annandale adoption day. Duke stayed the whole day which is a real accomplishment for him. Only the second time. He even accepted staying 30 minutes over time. I was really proud of that. Especially since he got microchipped as well. I would never let anyone put a needle that big in me. I also asked someone (same guy that chipped him) to hold him while I walked away for a few minutes. When I came back it was like I had been gone for weeks, he was so happy to see me. He did not pay any attention to Mike at all while I was gone. Near the end of the adoption day, Duke let Mike know how he felt about being chipped and kept away from me. He and Mike had a stare down and Duke did not like that Mike engaged him.
I have not felt ready to let him out of his crate yet. I am not ready to spend the first half hour when I get home from work cleaning pee out of the carpet (he will go within an hour of me leaving for work and then again within an hour of my dog walker coming. Not that he has to go, he just does it to be mean).

No comments:

Post a Comment